Whelping Supply List
Having the necessary tools to whelp a litter can make the difference between success and failure. This is a list of essential whelping supplies we've compiled to ensure you have everything you need:
- Hemostats - 2 (One Curved, One Straight): 3.5" for puppies that weigh 4 to 8 oz. at birth, 5.5" for puppies that weigh 8 to 14 oz. at birth, and 6" for puppies that weigh more than 16 oz. at birth.
- *Bulb Syringe: Used to suck mucus out of the puppy's mouth/upper respiratory tract.
- *Sterile Gloves: For vaginal exams on the bitch.
- *Nutri-Drops: Energy boost for both the bitch and puppies. Immediately absorbable.
- *WhelpWise Service: Don't forget to sign up early!
- *DeeLee Mucus Trap: A mucus aspirator that can be used for deeper suctioning.
- *Iodine Pads or sticks/Liquid Betadine: Used to disinfect the umbilical cord stump.
- K-Y or Water-Based Lubricant: Used for vaginal exams. Never use Vaseline or mineral oil.
- Feeding Tube: 6fr for puppies under 8 oz. and 8fr for larger puppies.
- Preemie Nipple and Preemie Bottle
- 10cc Syringes for Feeding Tube
- Feeding Syringe
- ID Bands for the Puppies. Try our Unique puppy collars available on the Shop Now page.
- Snuggle Safe
- Flashlight and Leash: For those middle-of-the-night potty trips.
- Lots of Towels: Both hand and bath size.
- Two Heating Pads: One in the holding box and one to heat the towels.
- Blow Dryer: To circulate warm air in the holding box and help dry off puppies.
- Ice Cream (Vanilla for Mom, Chocolate for You): Great energy boost for the whelping.
- *Friends to help with a great sense of humor, great snacks, and great movies.
* = Items we consider an absolute must.